Marriage Officiants

A marriage officiant is a person authorized to legally perform marriages.

Types of Marriage Officiants

  • Religious representatives - commonly referred to as a clergy person.
  • Marriage commissioners - for civil ceremonies.

Finding a Marriage Officiant to Perform a Marriage

  • There are no legal differences between getting married by a religious officiant and marriage commissioner.
  • A marriage commissioner can be located through the Marriage Commissioner Listing or Marriage Commissioner Map. All registry agents can provide a list of marriage commissioners.
  • As there are over 8000 clergy registered in Alberta, a public list is not available. To find an authorized clergy person/religious representative, contact the applicable church or religious organization.

Becoming a Marriage Officiant