Register documents or plans

Types of documents

Common documents registered at Land Titles Offices.

The Land Titles Offices register over 150 different types of documents authorized through over 100 acts. The acts are available through the Queen’s Printer Bookstore. The following is a brief description of the most common documents registered.

Transfer of land

What is it

This is a transfer of land ownership from one party to another party.


You can get a form from a Land Titles Office or download it:

Application for Transfer of Land (PDF, 7 pages)


What is it

A mortgage is a charge on land created for securing a debt or loan. This document is between a borrower (mortgagor) and a lender (mortgagee), in which the borrower’s land is pledged as security.


Mortgage (PDF, 1 page)


What is it

A caveat is a warning (in land law) that someone is claiming an interest on a parcel of land. If you believe you are entitled to an interest in land, you may file your claim through a caveat.

A caveat is only a notice of a claim of interest on land. The validity of the claim is disputed in court. If the courts agree that the claim is valid, then any person dealing with that land going forward will be subject to the interest claimed in the caveat.

When a caveat is registered, Land Titles will mail a notice to all registered owners on the title.


Caveat Forbidding Registration (PDF, 2 pages)

Builders’ lien

What is it

This gives contractors, subcontractors, suppliers and labourers a way to collect money owed to them for labour and materials used to improve the land, including work on any structures on the land.

Anyone who makes improvements to land by providing work and materials for an owner, contractor or subcontractor may file a builders’ lien.


Statement of Lien (PDF, 2 pages)


A builders' lien must be registered at the Land Titles Office within 45 days after the work is completed or the materials supplied.

Builders’ liens for an oil or gas well, or an oil or gas well site, must be registered within 90 days. The lien must be a minimum of $300.

A builders’ lien against untitled minerals must be registered with the Ministry of Energy

Utility Right of Way (URW)

What is it

A Utility Right of Way, also known as an easement, grants an individual, company or municipality the right to use a portion of the landowner’s property. For example, a URW could be granted to a pipeline that passes over someone’s land.

Once registered, the right to use the land as laid out in the terms of the URW remains in effect until a release is registered.

Utility Rights of Way (PDF, 4 pages)


What is it

You can remove or withdraw instruments registered against the title (i.e. caveat, mortgage, builders’ lien) using a discharge.


Discharge of Caveat (PDF, 2 pages)

Partial Discharge of Caveat (PDF, 2 pages)

Discharge of Mortgage or Encumbrance (PDF, 2 pages)

Partial Discharge of Mortgage or Encumbrance (PDF, 2 pages)

Cancellation of Builders’ Lien (PDF, 2 pages)


The original fully executed discharge, along with the registration fee, can be forwarded to a Land Titles Office for registration.

Contact this service

780-427-2742 (Edmonton)

403-297-6511 (Calgary)

8:15 am - 4:00 pm (Monday to Friday,
closed statutory holidays)

Related services

Queen’s Printer Bookstore

Tariff of Fees Regulation (PDF, 5 pages)

Preparation checklist for common documents (PDF, 6 pages)