Register a Birth

Register a Birth

All births that occur in Alberta must be registered with the Alberta government.

The birth mother and father/co-parent are responsible for completing a Registration of Birth form.

After a birth is registered, you can order birth documents from a registry agent or Registry Connect.

All the information on a birth certificate is extracted from the Registration of Birth form.

The following apply:

  • the birth mother must sign the Registration of Birth form
  • to record the father/co-parent on a child’s birth record, both parents must sign the Registration of Birth form
  • when the father/co-parent does not sign the Registration of Birth, they will not be recorded on the child’s birth record
  • a father/co-parent may be added to a birth record later with an amendment

You have options when choosing a last name for your newborn. Some restrictions apply.

Hospital or registered midwife birth

Your hospital or registered midwife will give you a Registration of Birth form to complete. They will send the form to Vital Statistics for registration within 10 days of the birth.

Home birth without a registered midwife

When a registered midwife or physician isn’t involved with the birth of a child at home, the following outlines the process required to register a child’s birth in Alberta.

1. Get a Request for a Home Birth Package

After the child is born, the parents must complete a Request for a Home Birth Package form. The parents may either

2. Complete and send in the Request for a Home Birth Package form

  • complete and sign the Request for a Home Birth Package form
  • mail or fax the Request for a Home Birth Package form to Vital Statistics using the contact information at the bottom of the form

Vital Statistics will send the parents the 2 birth forms for completion and details regarding the proof of birth that must be submitted with the forms.

3. Complete the 2 birth forms

  • the Registration of Birth form must be completed by the birth mother 
  • if a father/co-parent is to be included on the child’s birth record, they must also sign the Registration of Birth form
    • if the father/co-parent doesn’t sign the Registration of Birth, they cannot be recorded.
    • a father/co-parent may be added later with an amendment
  • the person who helps the mother with the delivery must complete and sign the Notice of a Live Birth form
  • evidence of the child’s birth is required. The easiest and most common form of acceptable evidence is a letter from a hospital/medical facility visited within 24 hours of the child’s birth. The letter must be on hospital/medical facility letterhead and have the following information:  
    • mother's full legal name
    • child's name (if known by the facility)
    • child's sex
    • child's date of birth
    • child's place of birth
    • confirm the mother delivered the newborn child
  • name of the physician or nurse who examined the mother and child
  • name and contact information of the person who wrote the letter
  • signature of the hospital administrator, physician, or nurse

When the mother and child aren’t examined at a hospital/medical facility within 24 hours of the birth, affidavits and other evidence are required.

4. Send in the birth forms

  • the parents send both birth forms and the supporting evidence to the Vital Statistics office within 10 days of the birth using the pre-addressed postage paid envelope provided in the home birth package
  • on receipt of the forms, Vital Statistics will examine the documents and if all requirements are met, may register the child’s birth

Delayed registration of birth

When a birth isn’t registered within one year from the date of birth, there are additional requirements and a fee of $20 to register the birth. For information, contact Vital Statistics.

Contact this service

780-427-7013 (Edmonton)

310-0000, then 780-427-7013 (toll-free)

8:15 am - 4:30 pm (Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)

Related services

Ordering a birth document

Newborn registration for a Social Insurance Number

Applying for Canada child benefits for your child

Correcting a birth record

Adoption Information