Changing a name


Find out if you can apply to change your name in Alberta.

As an applicant, you must be:

  • an Alberta resident
    • you must remain a resident of Alberta throughout the change of name process
    • you’re not an Alberta resident if you’re in Alberta temporarily, maintain your regular residence outside of Alberta or are in Alberta on a temporary visa
  • at least 18 years of age

If you’re younger than 18 years of age, you can apply to change your name if you’re (one of the following):

  • legally married
  • widowed
  • divorced 
  • living in an adult interdependent relationship
  • the parent of a child
  • the guardian of a child

You must provide acceptable ID

Contact this service

780-427-7013 (Edmonton)

310-0000, then
780-427-7013 (toll-free in Alberta)

8:15 am - 4:30 pm (Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)