Filing a Consumer Complaint

What We Investigate

Service Alberta investigates complaints from Albertans about consumer transactions – transactions between people and businesses – that are covered by the laws that we are responsible for.  We do not investigate disputes between businesses. We focus our attention on investigations where a business has frequently broken the law or where a large number of consumers are affected.

The laws we enforce are:

If we find that a business has not acted according to the legislation, we will take enforcement action.  An enforcement action could be:

  • A Warning Letter

  • Cancellation or suspension of the business' licence

  • A Director's Order (Fair Trading Act)

  • An Undertaking (Fair Trading Act)

  • Prosecution

In some cases, consumers may be able to make a claim for damages on a business's security or bond. We may also be able to request compensation for consumers if a business has been convicted of an offense.

*The Fair Trading Act replaced the following Acts: Unfair Trade Practices Act, Collection Practices Act, Direct Sales Cancellation Act, Public Auctions Act, Licensing of Trades and Businesses Act, Consumer Credit Transactions Act, Wage Assignments Act.

Filing a Complaint

The first step in any complaint process is to talk with one of our Information Officers in the Consumer Contact Centre at 780-427-4088 in Edmonton and toll-free at 1-877-427-4088 throughout the rest of the province. If they recommend that you file a formal complaint, complete the on-line form or the printable complaint form (pdf).

You can also refer to our "Filing a Complaint with Consumer Services" infosheet.

Please be sure to fill out the entire form.If you have copies of documents to support your claim, we recommend you print the form and send it with a copy of your supporting documents to the address below depending on which part of the province you reside in. Please do not include in the on-line complaint form any personal information like your bank account number, charge card or social insurance number. If you must include that information in your complaint, please send it to us by Canada Post mail instead.

Note: The information being collected on the complaint forms is for the purpose of a possible complaint investigation in accordance with the Cemeteries Act, the Charitable Fund Raising Act, the Fair Trading Act or the Government Organization Act (in relation to Residential Tenancies and Mobile Home Sites Tenancies investigations). When necessary, the information provided may be disclosed to law enforcement agencies or in connection with legal proceedings.  

Questions about the collection of this information can be directed to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Coordinator for Service Alberta, Box 3140, Edmonton, Alberta T5J 2G7, (1-877-427-4088).

Mailing Address

If you have a 780 area code:

Service Alberta
Investigation Services - North
3rd Floor, Commerce Place
10155 – 102 Street
Edmonton AB T5J 4L4
Fax: 780-422-9106 

If you have a 403 area code:

Service Alberta
Investigation Services - South
301, 7015 MacLeod Trail S
Calgary AB T2H 2K6
Fax: 403-297-4270

More Information

For further assistance with this topic, please contact the Consumer Contact Centre at 780-427-4088 (Edmonton and area) or 1-877-427-4088 (toll-free in Alberta).

Other Organizations Dealing With Consumer Complaints

If your complaint involves one of these categories, please contact the appropriate organization directly.

Real Estate Act

Real Estate Council of Alberta (external site)

Funeral Services Act

Alberta Funeral Services Regulatory Board (external site)

Fair Trading Act as it relates to the automotive industry

Alberta Motor Vehicle Industry Council (external site)

Alberta Insurance Act (external site)

Alberta Insurance Council (external site)

Competition Act:
Industry Canada – Fair Business Practices Branch (external site)