Charitable Fund-raising Business Licence

How it works


A fund-raising business is a business that:

  • Makes solicitations on behalf of a charitable organization or manages or is responsible for solicitations made by or on behalf of a charitable organization
  • Provides those services for remuneration
  • Is not an employee of the charitable organization

A fund-raising business includes a business that:

  • Is hired by another business to make solicitations on behalf of a charitable organization or to manage or be responsible for solicitations made by or on behalf of a charitable organization
  • Is not an employee of the other business

Licensing Requirements

Note: Failure to provide complete information will delay processing of your application and may result in a refund of your fees and closure of your file.

To get a licence for a fund-raising business you must provide the following:

  • Completed application form (pdf)
  • Original, signed security in the amount of $25,000 * - you may get this security in one of two ways:
    • General Surety Bond (pdf)
    • Cash Security Agreement (pdf) accompanied by:
      • An Irrevocable Letter of Credit (pdf) or
      • Cash (including payment by bank draft, money order, certified cheque – all of these are payable to the Government of Alberta) or
      • A term deposit or other similar instrument in the name of the Government of Alberta, c/o Service Alberta, 3rd Floor, 10155 – 102 Street, Edmonton, Alberta, T5J 4L4, in trust for (name of licensee)

*Note:  In accordance with the Security agreement, the security provided will be held for two (2) years after the agreement expires or for two (2) years after the agreement expires or two years and three months (27 months) from the date the business license expires or the business closes or longer in the event of a claim being received.

  • A licensing fee of $130 (Note: Your cheque should be made payable to the Government of Alberta.  If you are applying in person, you may also pay this fee using Visa, MasterCard, Debit or cash.  This fee is for a one-year licence.  Licences take effect the date they are issued.  It is your responsibility to ensure your licence is in force as long as you continue to do business as defined for this type of licence. Once your licence is issued please make note of the expiry date and ensure your licence is renewed prior to this date.   Licence holders must notify Service Alberta in writing if the address on their business licence changes.)
  • Copy of the fund-raising agreement being used with charitable organizations

General Information

A licensee that makes solicitations must maintain complete and accurate records of all its operations in Alberta for at least 3 years after the solicitations are made.

Fund-Raising Agreement

Every fund-raising agreement entered into with an organization must be in writing and include the following:

  • All the terms and conditions between the parties respecting the fund-raising, including the duties and responsibilities of both parties
  • The estimated amount of contributions to be received and an estimate of expenses and costs
  • The methods of soliciting contributions to be used
  • If the solicitations will involve selling goods and services, a description of the goods or services and the specific price for which the goods or services will be sold
  • The location of the account of the charitable organization into which monetary contributions are to be deposited
  • The charitable organization’s address and the name and telephone number of the contact person for the charitable organization
  • The fund-raising business’ address and the name and telephone number of the contract person for the fund-raising business
  • Must establish the remuneration of the fund-raising business, and the remuneration must be:
    1. A specific amount of money or
    2. A specified percentage of gross contributions or
    3. A combination of a specific amount of money and a specified percentage of gross contributions


Charitable Fund-Raising Act

Charitable Fund-Raising Regulation

Copies of legislation can be obtained from the Queen’s Printer Bookstore at:

Park Plaza, 5 floor
10611-98 Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta  T5K 2P7
Telephone: 780-427-4952


To call a Government of Alberta office toll-free (in Alberta), dial 310-0000 and follow the instructions.

Related services

Problems opening PDF forms?

If your web browser does not open the PDF form, download the form then open the saved PDF using Adobe Reader.  To do this:

  • Right-click on the form link and select "Save Target As"
  • Save the file to a known location on your system
  • Open the file with Adobe Reader

NOTE:  In some cases you may need to click on the "Enable All Features" button in Adobe Reader

Chrome, Firefox and Safari browsers may need to be configured to work with PDFs.

To open the PDF forms, you’ll need to use the current version of Adobe Reader.